All About Me

My photo
My name is Shelley Ortiz, and I have been teaching fifth grade for eleven years. This blog will describe what I love about teaching. It will describe what type of teacher I am, and include various lesson ideas for all types of learners!

Friday, January 22, 2016

Believe in Your Students!

When I was in elementary school, my self-confidence was diminished with each school year.  I began struggling in first grade.  It took me longer to understand concepts, and needed extra review in order to retain them.  My teacher was wonderful.  She was patient, and understanding.  She showed that she cared about me, and wanted to help me succeed.  After first grade, this wasn’t the case.  Because I struggled, my teachers did their best to help me, but made it clear they didn’t believe in me.  I felt invisible sometimes, and got irritated that the teacher always called on the students that did well.  Over time, I basically gave up.  If my own teachers don’t think I’m capable, then what’s the point of even trying?  I started hating school, because it wasn’t a safe and comfortable environment to be in.  My paper was never put up in the classroom, because I didn’t get A’s.  In high school, I started going down the wrong path.  It was where I fit in, and it made me feel good.  I completed high school with average grades, only due to my mom’s consistent help.  I decided to go to college because I didn’t know what else to do, and my parents offered to pay for it.  This was when everything changed.
            I went into each class with people that didn’t know me.  The teachers didn’t know I struggled in school.  I was able to start with a clean slate.  I remember answering some questions in my classes, and feeling so good about myself.  I started joining discussions in classes, and had teachers that valued my opinion.  The most amazing thing happened……I started doing great!  From that point on, I began to enjoy school, and really wanted to learn.  I started learning how to take notes that helped me understand new concepts.  It was amazing that with confidence, I thrived, and was successful.  All I needed, was teachers that believed in me.  I needed to feel welcome, and important. 

            Make sure that all of your students feel important.  Show them you care by including all of them in discussions.  Put up everyone’s work, and truly believe that all of them can reach success.  You would be amazed how well they will perform when they are in a positive, and nurturing environment.  Understand that just because students struggle, doesn’t mean they are stupid, and less likely to succeed.  Being a straight A student doesn’t mean you will be successful.  However, having good character, work habit, and confidence will have an impact on your student’s future.

No comments:

Post a Comment